When we talk about website, first thing came to mind is to get traffic using organic methods and for that here is an on page SEO checklist for new or old poorly optimized website or blog.
We sometimes plan to start blog and try methods of monetizing by different sources as its pocket friendly. What stops us is traffic and how to get traffic when you are totally fresher.
We can drive traffic using this simple SEO checklist and you can start to getting traffic if you have enough content on your website. Learn the SEO tutorial step by step here below and read till end for tips.
What is SEO & On Page SEO checklist?
SEO is a common abbreviation for Search Engine Optimization and it refers to the simple searches we do on Search engines like Google, Yahoo, Bing etc using keyword optimization.
Keyword is a Word or set of words that is most or least searched on Search engines and these search engines have a detailed data for these queries searched overtime.
So typically SEO is a process to optimize these search results in order to get our website lists on top and get more clicks by users searching these queries.
Now, how to optimize these keywords to get most out of these is described in the simplest form. Read till the end for your SEO checklist right after launching your website or blog.
Search Engine Traffic is mainly, the users who visit search engines for their queries. Search engine optimization is divided in to Organic and Paid Traffic (SEM-Search Engine Marketing). We will discuss about free Organic traffic optimization in this post.
On Page Optimization
When we talk about on page SEO checklist 2017 updates, there are few parameters we need to take care of in each of our Web Pages for website or blog. Before learning, always remember anything here is not to overdo and that can cause a penalty from Search Engines to drop you down from their listings.
Title Tag: Title tag is basically a Tag in Head section of your HTML page somewhere on Top. Describe your Page title including best keywords in 65 to 70 charactersÂ that are best to describe and indexed on search engines.
Meta Description: This tag is generally available just below to Title Tag and need to describe in detail as what the page is all about however it is still not sure as Description can help you in ranking or not but using same high quality keywords used in that can help better rank. It should not be avoided at all and can go up to 165 characters for better rankings.
Image Alt Text: Every web page will have images for the more authentic look of website or blog. Unfortunately, search engines donâ€™t understand image content. Here Image Alt Tags help to list them on search engines. Caption images with their meaning on these tags for Search engines to understand them better.
Header Tag: Header Tags are basically H1 to H6 tags used for Heading of your content. Always use H1 as Primary Tag then H2 to H6 as secondary tags as necessary in text.
Internal Linking: Itâ€™s great to do this on every page as provide links to your content in different pages for user as well as Search Engines to find your content and list. Google have pieces of codes named as Crawlers who visit web pages and rank them on their search engines. Always interlink your internal pages inside content.
SEO Checklist for Keyword Optimization
On page SEO is not complete without keyword optimization. Well I explained in simple terms as what keyword is and why it is used.
Let jump on to Keyword search and optimization.
- Keywords are ranked on search engines based on average searches in a definite time. We can find Keywords using Google Keyword Planner Tool. Earlier it was on front to use however a recent change made by Google doesnâ€™t allows Keyword research until you want to run an Ad with their Ad words account. Running an Ad requires a budget and while starting a website or blog, itâ€™s not needed to run an Ad when nothing is setup. The best alternative I found for that is SEMRush. Itâ€™s a great tool to research high quality keywords to rank better and itâ€™s also a primary need to produce any types of content.Â Semrush gives 10 daily searches free and after that you need to pay monthly fees to keep using this tool. I personally love this and itâ€™s really required to rank higher in this cut throat environment of startups or you can say your matriculation certificate for higher studies. Once done, you can login and start searching something like two words keywords first. Tool will suggest you many related keywords with its monthly searches, Competition, CPC (Cost per Click is the keywords Google charges itâ€™s competitor for every user click. Itâ€™s dynamic and ever changing on many factors) etc. Always remember the golden thumb rule as a keyword with High monthly searches and low or medium competition is best to use to write the content around.
- Keyword stuffing is a term basically used for over using of keywords in a single page or post. Keep it simple and try to use not more than 5 times in a page or blog.
- Always use Keyword at least 1 time in any Heading of your page.
- You can use up to 3 keywords in one page and try avoiding more for better search optimization for Organic Traffic.
- Last but most important, your content must be relevant, fresh, and used appropriately with Keywords. A well written article is best ranked and should be in between 1000-2000 words. Small articles less than 700 words may rank lower thus resulting in overall traffic fall for website if not taken care of soon.
Itâ€™s great and you did half the work already. Install a Yoast SEO Plugin and go through the 1-10 steps it has.
You will all be set. Once writing any post or page, you will see Yoast settings under the post editor section and you can setup based on the above SEO checklist points mentioned by me.
You are good to go!
Off Page SEO checklist
Off page SEO checklist is basically SEO techniques you apply outside your web page, commonly known as Link Building.
You can create a lot of link that also helps in ranking higher on search engines after new update from Google and Moz algorithms.
Links are Organic, White Hat or Black Hat, sometimes Social as well and can be counted under Organic Link building category.
Organic links are those types of link that you donâ€™t have to ask for. These are common links like your Social Media profile pages etc, where you mention your website link.
Based on Google update recently, relevant and high quality links are really needed to rank higher. Go for quality not quantity is the best tip I can give based on latest google algorithm update “Fred”.
White Hat SEO is basically the good methods which are used for any link building process and getting benefits out of it. You can ask for guest posting on other blogs to get a back links. Make sure to choose good authority blogs or website based on your niche only.
You can also list in Local directories, Listing Websites and Q/A websites like Quora, Reddit, Medium and many more.
Black Hat SEO is the incorrect methods used to rank your website in searches. This is not long term and Search Engines can penalize your domain anytime. Not recommended at any cost.
Setup Social Accounts
Social Media Accounts like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, Google Plus, Stumble Upon etc. can help you earn great back links and Keyword focused content distribution can help you achieve up to 50% of your overall traffic.
Setup Business pages on these social media channels and start promoting right away.
Submit and Track Analytics
Google Search Console: You created a website or a blog, now itâ€™s time to list in search engines. Use â€śGoogle Search Consoleâ€ť and â€śBing Webmaster toolsâ€ť and create an account using your current email id.
List your website and verify there. Search engines take time to fetch and list your web pages. To submit it fast also adds url of all pages you want to index in â€śGoogle URL Submitâ€ť.
Once done Login to Google Analytics with your same account and confirm your account with left verification methods and once done, you can start to see your website performance in next few hours or days depending on Indexing status.
Well there is no straight forward rule to get traffic to your website, it all about your smart work and On page SEO and Off Page SEO checklist and strategies. Try and test your methods too to get some amazing results.
The checklist above is the best to ensure a good start towards your traffic success and works most of the times for any types of websites.
Do you have any other ideas apart from this checklist?
Write in comments below and I will update in post because Search engines ever changing their algorithms to make web a great place so as I change this post frequently as new updates released.
Do write about your thoughts in comment section below.